Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Language Essay

For as long as I can remember language has influenced my life. I know now that language is taught to us at a young age from parents, teachers, and the environment in which we are raised in or surrounded by. Language is used in our everyday life whether it’s our personal lives or in the work field. Each language is unique in its own ways.

             We all deal with language from birth. The very moment that we are bought into this world our parents or parent begin to communicate with us. I don’t believe that we understand language at first but as time goes on we get familiar with the words, sounds, and actions that are being communicated to us. At the tender age of 4 maybe 5we all begin to speak fluently. Around that age we begin school where we are taught different ways to communicate or rather the proper way to communicate with the language taught to us. An example of this would be a child who attends kindergarten knows how to speak but everyday that child attends school they are taught the alphabet, how to count, how to read, and how to identify various things thus expanding their vocabulary in language. The environment we live in forms the way we use language as well as friends, family, and even strangers we interact with on a daily basis influence our language and its usage. The way a person speaks to his or her loved ones may seem different versus the language used in school or the workplace. An example of this would be a person greeting a friend outside might say what’s up or something to that effect. A person in school or at work may greet a person by saying good morning or good afternoon. Lastly television, the media, music videos, and reality tv also influences our language.
In my lifetime I have learned that there are different ways we use language! Language is extremely important in different scenarios.
 I learned that in schools and at work that the way I formulate my words and the tone of my voice could have a dramatic effect on how my words are received.  Keeping in mind that if I'm not speaking correctly my words can be taken in the wrong way. When amongst family I am not so proper I tend to swear and talk out of content. However, when speaking to new people I am always mindful to speak clearly and think how my words may affect people.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your last paragraph the most because it concentrates specifically on how ones dialect may range greatly depending on who he/she is speaking to and the conversation itself.

    ReplyDelete